Stories tagged with: Zanesville Fire Department

March 14, 2015 - 5:28pm
2 weeks 3 days ago

 At around 6:25am this morning the Zanseville Fire Department responded to a house fire at 229 Van Buren street.

The call was made by a fire fighter who was on his way to work. When crews arrived on scene the front half of the one and a half story structure was engulfed in flames. The flames were extending into the roof, according to Chief Eric Waltemire it took around 30 minutes to get the fire under control. The owner of the home was not inside at the time as they had left for...

February 26, 2015 - 6:02pm
4 weeks 5 days ago

Already this year eleven children have lost their lives in house fires across the state.

To try to counteract that high total, the Zanesville Fire Department is educating both parents and kids on what to do in case of a house fire.

"We don't take our pets, we don't take our toys," Hobson said. "We just get out of the house, we go to a special meeting place. That way there's accountability for the children for the parents. First thing we do is check with the family...

February 20, 2015 - 3:37pm
5 weeks 4 days ago

The winter months are typically the busiest for firefighters because of unsafe heat sources.

As we are in the midst of some of the coldest temperatures of the year some people have begun to use alternative sources of heat such as stoves and space heater.

"Unfortunately we've been on a few scenes lately and we've gone in the house feels quite warm, we walk in and their electric stove, gas stove, is going full tilt. That's not a good source of heat," said Zanesville Fire...

February 17, 2015 - 6:35pm
6 weeks 11 hours ago

Firefighters are not at liberty to wait for the cold to pass before heading to a fire.

The low temperatures of late can make it very difficult for firefighters to do their job. Lieutenant Doug Hobson at the Zanesville Fire Department said the splash back from their hoses can soak their gear in the matter of minutes.

"Normally during a house fire, we get so cold, so soaked that you don't get rewarmed until you get back here, get your gear changed, get a nice hot shower, so it...

January 21, 2015 - 10:47pm
9 weeks 6 days ago

A house fire was reported at 2420 Crew Avenue Wednesday evening.

The call for the fire was received just before 6:45 p.m. Deputy Fire Chief of the Zanesville Fire Department Eric Waltemire described to us what happened.

"Upon arrival on the scene, we had smoke showing from the house. The crew made entry from the rear and had a pretty quick knock down on it."

The occupants were not home at the time of the fire. Approximately 12 cats were pulled from the home, and...

December 25, 2014 - 7:29pm
13 weeks 5 days ago

Often times we forget that First Responders don't have the chance to enjoy Christmas at home with their families.

That wasn't the case for all three of the Zanesville Fire Departments Thursday evening. Laughs and yummy smells filled the downtown station as the family of fire fighters came together to celebrate Christmas with their families.

"So someone wouldn't have to cook today, we didn't want them stuck in the kitchen, we went to Pick N' Save and got meals that were ready...

December 22, 2014 - 11:27pm
14 weeks 1 day ago

We begin tonight with a heartwarming story of the Zanesville Police and Fire Departments helping surprise the wife of a war veteran.

This evening, Matt Lincicome, an Afghanistan War Veteran, surprised his wife on their anniversary with a little help from their family and the Zanesville police and fire department. Lincicome had been overseas, and his wife didn't know he had returned home. We spoke with Matt's aunt, Sue Darby, who says they have never been together on their anniversary...

December 17, 2014 - 10:28pm
14 weeks 6 days ago

 A house fire occurred at 116 Luck Avenue in Zanesville Wednesday evening.

The call came in at approximately 6:40PM. We spoke to Assistant Fire Chief for the Zanesville Fire Department, Robert Long, who gave us an overview of what happened.

"We arrived, there was light smoke showing. The occupants were outside, told us where the fire was. We found fire on the first floor in the bedroom area. Those occupants had moved out or had left earlier today and weren't expected...

December 2, 2014 - 10:46pm
17 weeks 6 hours ago

A two car injury accident occurred in Zanesville Tuesday evening.

The call came in around 8:30PM tonight for a collision occurring on the on ramp to Interstate 70 eastbound from Maple Avenue. We spoke to Zanesville Police Department Patrolman Derek Shilling who described to us what happened.

"We had a gentleman coming southbound on Maple Avenue attempting to get on to the I-70 on ramp. So what he did is he didn't get over in time another vehicle had stopped to let him over,...

November 24, 2014 - 5:22pm
18 weeks 1 day ago

Once again the Zanesville Fire Department is acting as a drop off location for the annual Toys for Tots drive.

The fire department has been involved with it for around 10 years now, and firefighter Gale Law said in the past they have had a drop off drive through and even wrapped toys. This year there will be drop off locations at the department's three stations. Law wants people to know that the fire department is there to collect new gifts for the Marine Corps Reserve's Toy for Tots...

For the best experience, use one of the following browsers:      Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Apple Safari
Follow Us:  WHIZ-TV      Z92 Radio      AM1240      @WHIZnewscom      @WHIZweather      @Z92Radio
Share: