Stories tagged with: Zanesville Fire Department

April 22, 2015 - 5:04pm
41 weeks 3 days ago

A tree that fell onto a house has left at least 4 people displaced Wednesday evening.

The incident happenend around 3:00PM at 149 Galliger Street. We spoke to Rex McManes who has been living at the home for a little over a year now. He was inside when the tree fell, and described to us what it was like.

"I was in and out of a movie I was watching, I turned around and the whole house sister--our rooms are on the backside and it fell right down the middle. Alright...

April 20, 2015 - 9:22am
41 weeks 5 days ago

The Zanesville Fire Department announced its Tuesday schedule for hydrant flushing.

The following areas will be affected:

  • Sunrise Center area
  • Greenwood Avenue
  • Wayne Avenue
  • Glessner Avenue
  • Downard Road
  • E. Main Street
  • Elm Street
  • Blandy Avenue
  • Zane Street
  • Wheeling Avenue including all side streets to the city limits

Flushing will be from 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

Residents in these areas may...

April 9, 2015 - 3:35pm
43 weeks 2 days ago

Several days of heavy rain combined with the severe storms Thursday have caused flooding across the area.

The Zanesville Fire Department said drivers can run into major problems during these conditions. Firefighter Greg Brocklehurst said there doesn't need to be much water on the road for cars to get swept away.

"Even six inches of water is enough to stall most vehicles, most cars, Firefighter Greg Brocklehurst said. "As little as a foot of water can move a lot of...

March 14, 2015 - 4:28pm
47 weeks 9 hours ago

 At around 6:25am this morning the Zanseville Fire Department responded to a house fire at 229 Van Buren street.

The call was made by a fire fighter who was on his way to work. When crews arrived on scene the front half of the one and a half story structure was engulfed in flames. The flames were extending into the roof, according to Chief Eric Waltemire it took around 30 minutes to get the fire under control. The owner of the home was not inside at the time as they had left for...

February 26, 2015 - 5:02pm
49 weeks 2 days ago

Already this year eleven children have lost their lives in house fires across the state.

To try to counteract that high total, the Zanesville Fire Department is educating both parents and kids on what to do in case of a house fire.

"We don't take our pets, we don't take our toys," Hobson said. "We just get out of the house, we go to a special meeting place. That way there's accountability for the children for the parents. First thing we do is check with the family...

February 20, 2015 - 2:37pm
50 weeks 1 day ago

The winter months are typically the busiest for firefighters because of unsafe heat sources.

As we are in the midst of some of the coldest temperatures of the year some people have begun to use alternative sources of heat such as stoves and space heater.

"Unfortunately we've been on a few scenes lately and we've gone in the house feels quite warm, we walk in and their electric stove, gas stove, is going full tilt. That's not a good source of heat," said Zanesville Fire...

February 17, 2015 - 5:35pm
50 weeks 4 days ago

Firefighters are not at liberty to wait for the cold to pass before heading to a fire.

The low temperatures of late can make it very difficult for firefighters to do their job. Lieutenant Doug Hobson at the Zanesville Fire Department said the splash back from their hoses can soak their gear in the matter of minutes.

"Normally during a house fire, we get so cold, so soaked that you don't get rewarmed until you get back here, get your gear changed, get a nice hot shower, so it...

January 21, 2015 - 9:47pm
1 year 2 weeks ago

A house fire was reported at 2420 Crew Avenue Wednesday evening.

The call for the fire was received just before 6:45 p.m. Deputy Fire Chief of the Zanesville Fire Department Eric Waltemire described to us what happened.

"Upon arrival on the scene, we had smoke showing from the house. The crew made entry from the rear and had a pretty quick knock down on it."

The occupants were not home at the time of the fire. Approximately 12 cats were pulled from the home, and...

December 25, 2014 - 6:29pm
1 year 6 weeks ago

Often times we forget that First Responders don't have the chance to enjoy Christmas at home with their families.

That wasn't the case for all three of the Zanesville Fire Departments Thursday evening. Laughs and yummy smells filled the downtown station as the family of fire fighters came together to celebrate Christmas with their families.

"So someone wouldn't have to cook today, we didn't want them stuck in the kitchen, we went to Pick N' Save and got meals that were ready...

December 22, 2014 - 10:27pm
1 year 6 weeks ago

We begin tonight with a heartwarming story of the Zanesville Police and Fire Departments helping surprise the wife of a war veteran.

This evening, Matt Lincicome, an Afghanistan War Veteran, surprised his wife on their anniversary with a little help from their family and the Zanesville police and fire department. Lincicome had been overseas, and his wife didn't know he had returned home. We spoke with Matt's aunt, Sue Darby, who says they have never been together on their anniversary...

For the best experience, use one of the following browsers:      Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Apple Safari
Follow Us:  WHIZ-TV      Z92 Radio      AM1240      @WHIZnewscom      @WHIZweather      @Z92Radio