A federal grant is helping the Zanesville Fire Department provide a better service to the community.
U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown announced on Thursday that the Zanesville Fire Department is receiving $676,013 for a new vehicle. Zanesville Fire Chief Craig Stemm said the award is made possible by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's FEMA Assistance to Firefighters Grants program.
"We actually applied for two different grants," said Stemm....
The Zanesville Fire Fighters were also on the job Thanksgiving Day.
Firefighter Jeff Ball said each Thanksgiving the crew pitches in to cook-up the holiday feast.
"It's kind of our extended family and we're all giving thanks," said Ball. "If you got to be here at the fire departments you couldn't ask for a greater group of guys to be spending Thanksgiving with."
Thursday's meal would feed 13 firefighters- each crew member brought in their...
The Zanesville Fire Department asks you to check your smoke detector when you change your clocks this weekend.
It's hard not to notice the beeping sound of a smoke detector. But, that sound may fall silent if a home owner doesn't check the batteries regularly. It's recommended that the batteries get changed twice a year and the time change marks a friendly reminder.
"It's a convenient time. It happens twice annually. If you can tie that into changing your batteries in a...
A Zanesville man is taken to the hospital following a fire on McIntire Avenue.
Authorities were called to the home at 911 McIntire shortly before 11 p.m. Wednesday.
According to the Zanesville Fire Department, a man was cooking and went into his living room where he fell asleep. Firefighters say the man suffered burns to his hands and was taken to Genesis Good Samaritan Hospital.
As temperatures begin to cool, now is the time to have chimneys inspected and cleaned to assure they're usable and safe for the season.
Chimney Sweep Gregg Brocklehurst is a full time firefighter for the City of Zanesville, as a side job Brocklehurst will clean, repair and reline chimneys. He said if a chimney has access build-up of ash and soot it's at risk of catching fire and burning, possibly causing damage to the chimney liner and your home.
A vacant home caught fire on the north-end of Zanesville.
According to Zanesville Assistant Fire Chief Dave Huey it happened near the corner of Dresden Road and Sunkel Avenue. Crews received a call at about 4:30 Thursday afternoon from a witness who reported seeing smoke coming from the front corner of the house.
Huey said it appears the home was being remodeled and he believes the fire started in the kitchen by the dishwasher.
Hydrant flushing continues in the City of Zanesville Wednesday.
The Zanesville Fire Department will be flushing hydrants on the east and west sides of Maple Avenue starting at Glendale and going north to the Northpointe area including James Court.
Flushing will begin at 7:30am and end at 2:30pm. Residents in the north end of town may experience discolored water and reduced pressure. It's advised to wait until after 4pm for the water to clear before doing laundry.