Fire on Owens Street


ZANESVILLE, Ohio–The Zanesville Fire Department was called to the scene of a structure fire on Owens Street.

The fire broke out around 3:00 p.m. Monday near the intersection of Dryden Road.

When firefighters arrived on scene, the house which consisted of 3 separate apartments, was fully involved with heavy smoke coming from the roof of the structure.

Officials on scene said two occupants were inside the home at the time of the fire and were transported from the scene by Genesis Community Ambulance.

Chief Bell from the Zanesville Fire Department said that in one of the apartments a resident was heating up a stove with grease to cook when he fell asleep. When he awoke the apartment was on fire.

Chief Bell said their were four cats in the home, one died in the fire and there was around $50,000 in damage.

The Red Cross was called to assist. The Zanesville Police Department and South Zanesville Fire Department assisted on the scene.

Categories: Local News